Benefits of Oranges for Food:
- Use as a Salad Oil - Put orange peels and dried cranberries in a glass jar and fill entire jar with oil and store in a dark area. Shake every few days. Oil will be ready in 3-4 weeks. Use as a dressing on salads for a delicious sweet flavor.
- Use to keep Sugar Lump Free - In the container where you store your brown sugar add orange peels to keep it from lumping over time.
- Use in your Tea - Oranges have been used in tea since ancient times. This was to help boost appetite and relieve stomach cramps. This is also beneficial for migraines. To prepare just boil some water on the stove top. Add orange peels and a bag of tea. Let it steep for 5-10 minutes and viola!
- Orange Pancakes & Waffles - Instead of using, water, milk, or buttermilk in recipes use orange juice to give them a nice natural orange flavor and additional vitamin C.
- Orange Zest - for baking cookies, cakes, and other yummy treats.
- Orange Chocolate Brownies - Add three oranges to recipe and orange juice instead of other called for liquid. This is a delicious way to spice up your brownies!
- Orange Jam - Cut oranges into small chunks and blend them together. Add pectin, sugar, and water to it and mix well. Refrigerate for 3 weeks or freeze. Enjoy!
- Orange Oatmeal - If you like peaches and cream oatmeal, try this orange oatmeal by adding orange juice as your cream or butter. This is a good way to get your vitamin C and to enjoy your first meal of the day.
- Flavor - Peel oranges and dry them out in the oven. Once dried, grind them up and use them in your spice rack for flavoring or to add in your own tea bags for flavor.
- Orange Chicken - place under chicken for a orange chicken flavor before baking.
- Infused Water - Cut orange slices and place in a pitcher of water over night. The next morning you have a tasteful refreshing orange beverage waiting for you.
- Kindling - Use dried orange peel as a great source for kindling. No more searching the bushes!
- Use as a compost - Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
- Natural Sponge - Use orange peels as a natural sponge to de-grease kitchen sink and to wash cast iron pans.
- Deodorizer - Place orange peels in a glass jar and put them under the sink or where over you store your garbage for a fresh fruity smell.
- Decoration - You can also use a whole orange and make a design on it with toothpaste. This will leave holes in the orange. Place cloves in the wholes and bake on low until orange becomes hard. Decorate with ribbon or anything you wish and hang it in your preferred room or area for decoration and scent.
- Stove Top Potpourri - Put orange peels in a pot. Add some cloves, cinnamon stick, and water. Let it simmer for a few hours for a nice inviting stove top potpourri.
- Cat & Mosquito Repellent - Use by adding orange peels to a little bit of water with a little ground coffee. This will keep cats from coming in your yard to do their business! For mosquito's just simply rub orange peel on your skin.
- Ant Distraction - Make a orange puree with orange peels and a cup of water. Put it where you want to stop ant trails or when you go camping.
- Green Cleaning Agent - boil orange peels in a pot with water and use as a cleaner for your microwave, kettles, pans, and other appliances.
- Craft Idea - Cut orange peels into leaf or flower designs and use as decoration or craft projects
Health Benefits for Oranges:
- Flu & Sore Throat - Prepare an orange infusion by cutting oranges in halves, spreading honey on top, and sprinkling with a pinch of cinnamon. Bake at 350 until dry. Cut into quarters with a sharp knife and add to your boiling water cup. Drink.
- Prevent Nose Bleeds - Keeping those blood vessels in top form is one way to prevent them from breaking so easily. Vitamin C is necessary to the formation of collagen, which helps to create a moist lining in your nose.So drink and eat vitamin C products to help avoid nose bleeds.
- Immune Support - Vitamin C from oranges are an antioxidant, disarming free radicals and preventing damage inside and out.
- Face Masks, Hair Masks, and Body Scrubs - Grind orange peels and add them to your own DIY recipe of face or hair masks and even your body scrubs. Works excellent as a exfoliate and also helps with dandruff.
- Ear Infections - Oranges contain Vitamin C which also help to prevent ear infections as well as colds.
- Prevents - Ulcers & stomach cancer, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, and lower blood pressure.
- Anxiety & Depression - Oils from orange peels are being used in aromatherapy to help with anxiety and depression.
- Fiber - Oranges carry a very good source of fiber.
- Acne - helps to prevent breakouts for oily skin and reduce damage.
- Respiratory Health - Oranges protect and increase your respiratory health.
Find deals juicers and blenders for smoothies on our shopping site!
Sources: http://www.whfoods.com/, http://www.remediesandherbs.com/, http://health.howstuffworks.com/, http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/