- 4 1/2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Tsp of Baking Powder
- 2 Cups of Margarine (HAS TO BE MARGARINE)
- 2 Pinches of Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups of Water
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 2 Medium Potatoes or 1 Large
- 500g of ground beef
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Cloves of Minced Garic
- 2 Tbsp of Cooking Oil
- 2 Bouillon Cube (Maggie or Knorr)
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Curry
- 1 1/2 Cup of Water
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- Salt to taste
A cutter for the pie dough. I improvise and use a 6 inch pot lid. The more in diameter the less meat pies you will get of course but the more filling in the larger ones. The last batch I made I got a dozen and a half of meat pies.
Directions for Meat Pie Filling:
- Peel, wash, and cut the carrots and potatoes into tiny pieces.
- Peel, wash, and cut the onion and garlic into tiny pieces.
- Set stove to medium heat and add the oil when ready add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add beef and using a fork mix it vigorously until it is broken into little pieces. Cook until pale brown in color.
- Add bouillon cubes, thyme, and curry. Mix thoroughly. Once mixed add 1 cup of water.
- Once mixture starts boiling add the carrots and potatoes. Cover pot and let boil until vegetables are cooked.
- Dissolve the 2 tbsp of flour in 1/2 cup of water and add to the meat pie filling. (This tip is so the meat pie filling doesn't dry out during baking and keeps it moist.)
- Set meat pie filling aside. Now lets prepare the dough!
Directions for Meat Pie Dough:
- Put flour, baking powder, and salt in a sizable bowl. Mix well.
- Use your fingers to grab margarine and break up with your fingers into little pieces dropping into the flour mixture. The smaller you make the bits of margarine the easier it will be to get the crumb effect in the flour mixture. Use finger tips in the margarine to crumble so it looks like the picture below.
- Add cold water in bits and fold into mixture until it is firm and easy enough to handle. Knead the dough very well and then put back in the bowl to sit for 5-7 minutes. This allows it to become elastic.
- Preheat your oven to 335f (170c). Grease oven pan or dish and set aside.
- Break the egg and scramble with a fork and set aside.
- Knead the dough and roll out to 5mm thickness.
- Use a cutter to make round cuts on the rolled out dough and remove excess.
- Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of meat pie filling in the center of dough disk. (Note: it takes practice. If you are comfortable and it is easier for you to fill with more filling or less without making a mess then do it the way you like until you fell comfortable and become an expert.)
- Rub some of the egg along the edges of the disk of the dough. This is to ensure that the meat pie seals nicely and does not open while baking. This is shown in the picture below.
- Fold one side of the dough to meet the other end and use a fork to press down on the two edges that you have brought together and seal. Place on prepared oven pan or dish. Repeat this step until the pan or dish is full. See the picture below.
- Once all are prepared and the oven tray or dish is full rub egg on the top. This is to make them nice and golden. Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes (ovens timings vary).
To find deals on oven trays, mitts, dough cutters, measuring accessories, and other baking needs check out our shopping site!